In accord with the MGF Code of Regulations, the MGF Bylaws are established by vote of the MGF Board of Directors. The Bylaws are in addition to stipulations made in the Code of Regulations. The Bylaws do not replace the Code of Regulations.
Section 1 -- Voting Membership -- Prior Participation Requirement
Among the requirements for becoming a Voting Member, the Code of Regulations states that “long term participation in the Murray Grey Foundation and Registry” must be demonstrated. The Board will interpret that clause to mean no less than three years of continuous Non-Voting Membership. This interpretation does not infringe on the any Director’s option to approve or disapprove an application for Voting Membership.
Section 1 -- Currency
All fees are stated in US dollars.
Fees are the net number of dollars that the MGF is to receive. The fees do not include bank charges, currency conversion charges, wire charges, or any other charges involved in the payment.
convenience, the MGF will accept payments at an office in the
Section 2 – Fees other than either Initiation or Annual
1. There will be no “opening the envelope” fee or transaction fee for processing a membership application.
2. There will be no “opening the envelope” fee or transaction fee for processing animal registrations, transfers, corrections, etc. that are done by a member via the internet program. The Annual Membership fee covers the cost for an unlimited number of such activities by the member for the member’s animals if done via the MGF Registry program on the internet.
3. If paper/postal Office assistance is required (e.g. to enter registrations or transfers, print Registration Certificates, correct, etc.) then the request must be accompanied with sufficient payment to cover postage, paper, and printing costs. The fee for postal/paper assistance is variable due to various world wide postal charges and amount of printing requested, but $5-10 would generally be sufficient. The fee would be lowered if the member assisted by taking such actions as supplying: a postage paid envelope for return mail, paper (the member might like a particular quality of paper for printing Certificates), etc.
4. There will be no charge for assigning a member a Breeder’s Physical ID Prefix, Breeder’s Naming Prefix. The member needs to request a prefix. The Office will search the MGF membership list and award the prefix, if reasonable. Alternatively, the member can request that the Office assign a prefix from random letters.
Section 3 -- Non-Voting Members
1. Initiation/set-up fee is $60. Assuming continuous membership, this is a one time fee to set-up the Non-Voting Membership.
Annual continuous membership fee is $30.
Hence, for the first year of membership, the fee is $60 for initiation/set-up plus $30 annual fee = $90. Thereafter, only the annual continuous membership fee is due.
The annual fee covers a calendar year, i.e. January 1 thru December 31. There will be no pro-rated fees.
Failure to pay the annual continuous membership fee by January 31 of the next year will result in the membership being ruled as delinquent. The MGF membership program will automatically remove the membership. Reinstalling the membership will again require payment of the initiation/set-up fee and Board approval, as for any new Non-Voting Membership.
For manageability and to reduce annoyance, members are encouraged to pay the annual fee in advance for up to ten years. For example, payment of $60 + $300 (i.e. $360) would cover ten years of continuous Non-Voting Membership fees.
2. Gift Memberships -- Fees for gifting a Non-Voting Membership:
A MGF member may apply to gift a new Non-Voting Membership by:
a.) supplying the MGF all required information (i.e. by completing the application form); and
b.) paying the annual Non-Voting Membership fee.
Note that payment of the Initiation/set-up fee is not required for a "gifted" membership.
Note also that all of the provisions of Article II Section 9B of the Code of Regulations remain in effect,
including the provision that a majority of the Board must approve the application before the Non-Voting Membership is granted.
Section 4 -- Voting Members
Initiation/set-up fee is $600.
Annual continuous membership fee is $300.
The annual fee covers a calendar year, i.e. January 1 thru December 31. There will be no pro-rated fees.
Failure to pay the annual continuous membership fee by January 31 of the next year will result in the membership being ruled as delinquent. The MGF membership program will automatically remove the membership. Reinstalling the membership will again require payment of the initiation/set-up fee and Board approval as for any new Voting Membership.
For manageability and to reduce annoyance, members are encouraged to pay the annual fee in advance for up to ten years. For example, payment of $600 + $3000 (i.e. $3600) would cover ten years of continuous Voting Membership fees.
Section 1 -- Eligibility
1. Members of the MGF are eligible to register, transfer, and otherwise supply information into the MGF Registry System for the animals that they own.
2. MGF members who are current or past owners of an animal are allowed to display, print, and save the Registration Certificate for that animal. (The Registration Certificate will clearly show the succession of ownership.)
3. An animal will be registered in the MGF Registry by the current MGF member who is the current owner of the animal. The owner does not need to be the same as the breeder of the animal. (The breeder of an animal does not need to be a member of the MGF.)
4. Any progeny of an animal currently in the MGF Registry is eligible for registration by its owner who is a current MGF member.
5. Until Jan. 1, 2010, animals from other MG registries, that are recognized by the MGF Board, can be cross-registered in the MGF Registry with acceptance and recognition of the MG purity granted by the other registry. In the case of an animal currently listed in more than one registry, but with different purities assigned by each registry for that animal, the MGF Board of Directors will assign the purity to be recognized by MGF.
6. An animal (not owned by a MGF member) born on or after Jan. 1, 2010, that is listed in any other MG registry requires approval from the MGF Board to be registered in the MGF Registry, which will include examination of submitted extended pedigree to determine MG purity and status. The member requesting such registration is responsible to submit the extended pedigree and any other information requested by the MGF Board.
7. For non-MG (foundation) stock to be entered into the MGF Registry, identification of actual breed of origin or predominate breed type should be supplied.
8. Any animal to be listed in the MGF registry must have a unique on-animal identifier. (See next sections.)
Section 2 -- Unique “on-animal” Identification
All animals are required to carry an “on-animal” physical identification that is unique to that animal. The location on the animal of the identification must be specified. However, the MGF will not interfere with any “country of origin” or similar governmental identification requirement. Furthermore, the MGF will not require an additional unique identifier in addition to a governmentally required identification, as long as the identification is unique to the animal.
Potential unique “on-animal” physical identifications currently include, but are not limited to: ear tattoo, brand, electronic implant, or ear tag.
For North America, ear tattoo is recommended.
If a brand is used and a non-alpha-numeric figure is part of the brand, please contact the MGF to insure that the figure can be handled by the MGF computer system.
If an ear tattoo or brand is used, then it is further recommended that the MGF member-owner apply to the MGF and be allocated a unique breeder’s tattoo/brand identification for the breeder’s exclusive tattoo/brand use. This will insure that the identifier will be unique to a particular member, and will avoid duplication or confusion of characters used for identification.
If an ear tattoo or brand is used, then it is further recommended that the MGF member-owner use the breeder’s tattoo/brand identification plus a unique serial number plus a standard year letter code as the tattoo. Several different year letter codes exist around the world. It is recommended that the breeder use the code in the breeder’s area. Contact the MGF for further details.
The unique “on-animal” identification is to be permanent. Contact the MGF if a change is necessary. For example, the ear carrying the tattoo is lost or damaged such that the tattoo is no longer readable.
The MGF may recognize other methods of “on-animal” identification. Please contact the MGF for a ruling on the acceptability of other methods.
The member’s physical ID prefix is for the exclusive use of the MGF member-owner and cannot be used by any other member-owner, partnership, or corporation.
The member’s on animal physical identification prefix may be the same as the breeder’s naming prefix.
Section 3 -- Naming
The registered name (if any) of the animal must be unique. The MGF member-owner may apply and be allocated a unique breeder’s name prefix for use in naming the owner’s animals. The member’s animal name prefix is for the exclusive use of the MGF member-owner and cannot be used by any other owner, partnership, or corporation.
The name of the animal is permanent and can be changed only with permission of the MGF Board.
The member’s naming prefix may be the same as the member’s physical identification prefix.
Section 4 -- Bulls used for Artificial Insemination
AI bulls (semen collected from bull used by either the member-owner of bull or by others) must have biological proof/documentation of genotype (e.g. blood type or DNA characterization) on file with the MGF. DNA genetic marker reports are currently recommended. Offspring produced by AI will not be allowed into the MGF registry unless or until such sire documentation is on file with the MGF.
Section 5 -- Embryo Transfer
Animals produced from Embryo Transfer must have biological proof/documentation of both the sire and dam on file with the MGF. DNA reports are currently recommended. Documentation of the embryo recovery/flush is also recommended to have on file with the MGF. The listed dam of the produced animal is to be the genetic/biological dam. The identity of the surrogate/birthing-nursing dam should be listed as additional information in the MGF Registry.
In order to be registered in the MGF Registry, any ET-resultant animal must have its biological parentage verified by biological proof/documentation of its genotype on file with the MGF.
Section 6 -- Animal Classification – Murray Grey Genetic Percentage
The Murray Grey genetic percentage purity of an animal will be calculated in the MGF Registry and printed on the Registration Certificate.
The Murray Grey percentage will be the sum of 50% of the MG percentage of the sire plus 50% of the MG percentage of the dam.
MGF members-owners are free to use breeding to increase or decrease the MG percentage of their animals as they see fit.
Section 7 -- Pure Bred Definition for Bulls/Males
For a bull born before Jan. 1, 2020, to be listed as a Pure Bred, the bull will be required to reach 15/16 MG (i.e. 93.75% MG) or higher. In that case, the %MG will be redefined to be 100% for further calculations.
For a bull born after Jan. 1, 2020, to be listed as a Pure Bred, the bull will be required to reach 31/32 MG (96.875% MG) or higher. In that case, the %MG will be redefined to be 100% for further calculations.
Section 8 -- Pure Bred Definition for Cows/Females
For compatibility with other MG organizations and to load the MGF Registry, a female MG born before Jan. 1, 2010 and reaching 7/8 MG (i.e. 87.50% MG) or higher. In that case, the %MG will be redefined to be 100% for further calculations.
For female born after Jan. 1, 2010, to be listed as Pure Bred, the female will be required to reach the same percentage MG as a bull, i.e. 15/16 (93.75%) or higher. In that case, the %MG will be redefined to be 100% for further calculations.
For a female born after Jan. 1, 2020, to be listed as Pure Bred, a female MG will be required to reach the same percentage MG as a bull, i.e. 31/32 MG (96.875% MG) or higher. In that case, the %MG will be redefined to be 100% for further calculations.
Section 9 -- Certificates of Registration
The MGF Registration Certificate will be generated by the MGF Registry System on the internet. A MGF member will be allowed to electronically display, print, and save the MGF Registration Certificates only for the animals owned by the MGF member. The public will not have direct access to the Registration Certificate.
The public will only be entitled to see a listing of the basic pedigree information plus whatever other data that the MGF member-owner allows for electronic display and listing on the registration certificate. The member/owner will have release control of all information for the animal he/she registers, other than bloodline and basic information (i.e. physical ID, name, birth date, etc.)
The MGF may also print Registration Certificates.
The MGF Board of Directors shall have the final decision authority in any dispute regarding pedigrees, the MGF Registry, and Registration Certificates.
Section 10 -- Integrity
The MGF Registry is based on the honesty and integrity of those supplying information. The MGF will strive to maintain accurate information.
The MGF Board retains the right to correct information in the MGF Registry and take other corrective actions, e.g. to de-register animals, based on the judgment of the MGF Board. Similarly, the MGF Board has the authority to terminate a membership, based on the judgment of the MGF Board.
The MGF Board has the authority to limit, expand, and regulate all aspects of the MGF Registry.
Neither the MGF nor the MGF Registry will be held responsible for any monetary loss or claim resulting from incorrect information.
Initially approved unanimously by the MGF Board of Directors on May 21, 2004 (JCW)
Revised by insertion of Article II, Section 3.2 – Gift Membership Fees – approved unanimously by the MGF Board of Directors on June 6, 2005 (JCW)